– Good governance is valuable. It will benefits countries with good governance, which correspond exactly to . . . wait for it . . . countries with high IQ. I don’t mean to suggest that good governance isn’t important, but I do mean to suggest that it’s much easier to create good governance in Sweden than in Mali. In fact, good governance in those places might look very different.
– Spandrell says he doesn’t consider himself a reactionary because he doesn’t want to return to the past. I would note – in defense of the term reactionary – that it’s impossible to return to the past. We don’t want to return to it – we just don’t want to condemn, disregard and ignore it.
– Someone at Treasury has apparently discovered maturity transformation.
– More maps of racial segregation in American cities (I live on a block that is all close to 50/50 white-black, whereas the block to my west is apparently all white and the block to my east is apparently all black). The maps almost overlay race and crime (results are obvious).
– Sam Francis defined anarcho-tryanny by saying, “we refuse to control real criminals (that’s the anarchy) so we control the innocent (that’s the tyranny).”
In unrelated news, on my way to the airport last week, I drove by an uninhabitable neighborhood (due to high levels of crime) to the airport, where my one-year-old’s organic peanut butter was confiscated by TSA because “it is a liquid.” The phrase “stealing candy from a baby” comes close, no?
– One asks about pop culture. I don’t follow pop culture, but I do follow all the popular hour-long, 13-episode shows on HBO and the rest. I also spend a little time playing video games. I don’t think it’s necessary to throw out the TV, but I do think it’s necessary to take some time, every now and then, to leave it off and get lost in old books. Often when I travel for work, I spend a whole week doing nothing but reading books from the 18th or 19th Century and working. You approach the modern world in a different way after a week like that.
– If I made up this story, I’d be racist.
– The case for monarchy – Portugal edition.
– Maybe we should arrange marriages.
– Increasing exports is good, right?