I believe I’d actually make a rather good king. After all, the best kings were a lot like me. They knew they hadn’t done anything to deserve their power, so they used it sparingly. They didn’t have big dreams, didn’t try to remake their societies from top to bottom, didn’t promise their subjects the moon. Even their wars were mostly skirmishes, by modern standards.
Unlike Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, and others I could name, kings didn’t talk a lot of utopian rot; in a democracy, you hear nothing else. And compared with modern governments, most kings kept taxes low. Americans paid far less under George III than under today’s government. Blasphemous as it may seem to say so, they were freer than we are. King George didn’t care a hoot whether you smoked or how much water your toilet tank held. That’s how I would try to be.
– Mangan on the downside of high IQ
– Yale wants the people of Singapore to be able to criticize their awesome government. Of course, that would allow people like the professors at Yale to stir up racial and religious violence in Singapore, but I’m sure they have nobler goals in mind.
– For every one time that a libertarian website cites evidence of police misconduct, HBD websites find 7 examples of BBB.
– Foreclosed homes in black neighborhoods aren’t as nice as ones in white neighborhoods. Consumerist blames banks. Yeah, I’m sure it’s the banks’ fault.
– Athol: "If you’re a guy, your default setting when it comes to getting married is… to not get married. Not to anyone. That’s the rule."
– Top cornerback prospect gets a 4 on the Wonderlic (I think this maps to an IQ of 68)