– A talk from Anomoly UK.
– The world’s best parallel parker is . . . an Asian guy.
– Yglesias wonders why we’re collecting taxes. After all, USGs’ borrowing costs are super low. In 2004, mortgage rates were super low, and obviously it would have been awesome if you’d followed the same logic and bought as many houses as possible.
– Russell Kirk on democracy.
– Gay marriage is about to become legal everywhere.
– Spandrell on Byzantium.
– More Spandrell on money and happiness and betatude.
Both The Trouble With Africa and Paul Romer’s article appear to call for a form of neo-colonialism. A relentless flow of empirical evidence from Harare to Haiti and from Dakar to Detroit shows that “black”-dominated administrations follow a familiar path. They destroy established structures, leading to degradation, ruin, and chaos.
(Related thoughts here)