– The Cathedral at work. I’d have a small shred of respect for Google if they went after countries in the Middle East and Africa with as much zeal as they go after Singapore and Poland, but alas!
– Speaking of Singapore, here’s a quick take on their unemployment benefit system. Feel free to skip the first 8 paragraphs.
– A year and a half ago, I blogged a fair amount about the DC mayoral election. The election pitted Vince Gray against Adrian Fenty. Both Gray and Fenty are black, but they’re probably less black than George Zimmerman (would the NYT call them “white blacks” if they killed a really black guy?). Anyway, Fenty was very popular with DC’s white population. Given the demographic changes in DC, Gray had to win basically all the black vote to beat Fenty. Gray won. Shockingly, Gray’s mayorship is now mired in scandal. It’s rather mundane stuff, the feds are investigating. You can read about the scandal at Wikipedia.
– The picture over at Borepatch’s made think about Mussolini for a minute. Everyone jokes about that he made the trains run on time, but he made the trains run on time in Italy. It seems like he did it in all of Italy too, not just the northern bit. If you’ve spent any amount of time in Italy, you have to be at least a little impressed by that, no?
– No one but Zero Hedge seems to have noticed that it’s pretty funny for governments to criticize other entities for manipulating interest rates.
– Lots of data on that pesky achievement gap.