‘Modern Life’ as it is portrayed in the mass media – in innumerable novels, movies, TV shows and commentaries – is depicted as essentially a matter of dating and careers. . . .
As a child or teen looks ahead: that is what they see, that is what is in prospect. They see a career – education, training, jobs – and they see the prospect of dating a string of (hopefully) appealing folk. . . .
This is the primary triumph of the Left – to have excluded marriage and the family from the mainstream depictions of Modern Life.
As I get older, this strikes me as correct and incredible. It’s especially incredible since dating has gotten much shallower over time and work has gotten much less tangibly satisfactory over time. Marriage and family, I’m happy to report, are still quite fulfilling.
– Sign up for a reactionary email list here. Check out the library of the Dark Enlightenment here. More propaganda here (any chance I could get a shirt instead of a poster?). New blogger of the week here.
– It’s worth remembering that the Dark Enlightenment is not only home to interesting ideas, it’s also home to some great writing.
– Interesting book review from Arnold Kling.
– Who commits acts of terrorism? Latinos and progressives, apparently.
– Federico’s blogging at a new place, and I can’t resist linking to this post given the title.
– I think this is just part of a larger phenomenon.