– Behold the logic of mainstream economists and despair!
– LMFAO: in related news, I’m pretty sure I can think of something else the South and big cities have in common.
In an oligarchical regime, public opinion is always an effect rather than a cause. It still matters, but only in the sense that some effects cannot be caused. But the power of the machine is always increasing. Few in the Reagan era could have imagined that in the lives of their grown children, most Americans would come to regard gay marriage as an essential civil right. Why did this happen? Because the ruling class is sovereign not just politically, but also intellectually. What it believes, everyone comes to believe – and is horrified that previous generations somehow failed to believe. . . .
If the Constitution declares that the fickle shall rule, too bad for the Constitution. By contradicting Nature, the Constitution has contradicted itself. And it shall not rule. And that, dear Americans, is when you finally settled in under your new communist oligarchy. Whether you knew it or not. Not, mostly – but that’s what it is to be a chump. . . .
And you’re worried that someone is grepping your emails? . . .
My son actually thinks he has human rights. It’s because he’s 2. This morning he asserted his right not to take his amoxicillin – with some success, but not much. I expect the critics of the NSA to have about the same luck. When I became a man, I put aside childish things.
For a man or for a community of men, the right to rule is a function of the might to rule. If the sound competent Midwest can get itself euchred out of its democratic right to rule by a bunch of slick Harvard men, the sound competent Midwest cannot maintain its authority and will get euchred by someone someday. If it’s not Harvard today it’ll be Yale tomorrow.
– The Atlantic on the Civil War. It’s worth noting that this idea isn’t new, and that if it’s true, it’s in no small part, The Atlantic’s fault.
– On hate: “There probably isn’t anyone in my life who’s important to me that I haven’t cursed, and I expect no less from them during those times I overstep the mark.”
– Interesting thoughts from Sam Harris.
– Derb: “The booze-fuddled hacks I used to hang out with in the Kowloon bars back in the day had a better chance of finding out what Mao Tse-tung had for breakfast than I have of getting interracial sexual-assault stats for the U.S. Navy.”
– It appears trans-genderism (sigh, I was born much too late) is the new gay marriage. I’m confused. If gender is a social construct, how can it be mixed up?