– I’m filing this one away.
Don’t interfere. Don’t ‘increase’ or ‘accelerate’ the destruction. That’s not for you to do. Enjoy the decline, but not with the sort of actions that are individually rational, but collectively destructive. Let nature work.
Nature is beautiful, and nature is brutal.
– Chuck Ross on the Oberlin hoax. Could a good journalist come from anywhere but the alt-right these days?
– Secession of a sort in Colorado.
– Douthat on the rareness of crime.
What’s the matter with not being smart? As Hemingway put it, “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” Have you ever seen a genius at a water park? He’s miserable. The only time people with an IQ over 120 are really happy is when they’re at work. They’re basically our slaves. Dumb people ride ATVs with their sons, go bungee jumping, and laugh their heads off when somebody farts. Many of them are also rich.
– Ed West:
Today, however, we are witnessing the strange death of the middle class. In Britain, as in the United States, it isn’t just being squeezed — it is actually shrinking and sinking. This is the most disturbing social change of our age and will probably dominate your children’s lives.
Libertarians are being torn apart from within. Two groups are responsible for this: the libertines and the liberal bigots. ‘Liberal bigots’ is a phrase that I have stolen from Peter Hitchens and I am using it to describe a group within the libertarian movement who are more concerned about being politically correct than defending anybody’s right to discriminate. By libertines, I mean simply those who view libertarianism as a rebellion against tradition, hierarchy, morality and authority and who believe that the best way to achieve libertarianism and the libertarian ends of life, prosperity, cooperation and so on, is to live in communes, engage in ‘free love’, and at every opportunity attack conventional wisdom and morality.
– I strongly support this policy idea from Yglesais. In many cases, churches are the last thing that bring black people back into the city from the suburbs they’ve been gentrified into. It’s time to clear the churches out so we can convert the buildings to condos.